Data about the NSO sites
The following functionalities and characteristics are distinguished:
- Language - Which language of communication is used
on the website: the official national language, the English language and/or
any other language(s)?
- Keyword search - If the website provides a keyword
search mechanism, information may be found more easily.
- Census data retrieval format - Data may be presented
to users in different formats: textual, tabular, chart and map.
- Data download capability - Websites with this functionality
allow users to download data (be it text, tables, charts or maps) in a digital
format that can be imported or interpreted directly by available software
(e.g., a spreadsheet or GIS package).
- Census data retrieval cost - In many countries, census
and other national statistical data are considered public property and may,
therefore, be obtained free of charge. In other countries, registration (or
subscription) may be required, or other methods of payment are applied to
cover some costs of infrastructure and/or dissemination (e.g., the costs of
acquiring statistical reports on paper).
- Geographical differentiation / levels of aggregation
- This part shows at which administrative levels the NSO is disseminating
its data through the WWW.
- Individualized output of census data - Most websites
supply the data in preconceived ways, be it in textual, tabular, chart or
map format (see 'Census data retrieval format' above). But some websites allow
users to individually prepare the desired data output on-line. Tailor-made
tables, charts and thematic maps are possible types of individualized output
in static form. The interactivity function identifies the possibility for
the user to interactively adjust the current static way of representation
(e.g., changing the legend of a thematic map display).
- Geographical or map interface for census data retrieval
- This functionality refers to the availability of a map interface to define
the geographical extent of the required data (e.g., by clicking on the area
of interest or by specifying a bounding rectangle).
BACK TO NSO MAP